A plastic baby, which was found floating on the sand at the beach in Palm Springs, was washed ashore after a beach fire that destroyed several homes, according to Palm Springs Fire Department.
The beach was open to the public at the time of the fire, which broke out Monday morning.
Palm Springs fire officials say the child’s mother was not in the house at the moment of the incident.
The child was rescued and taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The incident remains under investigation.